Monday, September 12, 2011

Blog #2

In the beginning of reading You Gotta BE the Book by Jeffrey Wilhelm, I was interested about the author’s discussion of his case study students.  Although chapter one started to drag on about his research, it is important to learn where his findings came from.  I think his case study students were very important to his understanding of how children learn to read.  His interviewing of students let him get an inside look of what different students really thought about reading.  Whether it is students like Marvin in chapter one who says “Reading is stupid!” or students like Cora, Joanne, and Ron who fully enjoy their time when reading. Some students will appreciate reading more than others.
            So what gets a student engaged in reading?  Wilhelm found that students need the freedom to read what they enjoy and be able to do what they wish with the book afterwards.  Ron, for example, would love to act out his stories about the good and evil people and relive the characters through drama, while his friend Chris would rather reenact the big scenes with explosions.  Although some students may not relish the idea of being in front of others, I believe that drama and acting in the classroom is a technique that could get many more students involved and interested in reading.  I can remember acting out Julius Caesar in my tenth grade honors English class.  The story itself was what some of the students in my class called “an old, dry classic.”  The teacher realized we were not as enthusiastic about it and made the class into something interesting and got every student involved. Even having students just talk to each other about stories can get them more active in the reading process. If students can relate to each other through reading, then they have reason to read and talk to each other.  Cora and Joanne might not have been friends if they did not share their love of reading. 
            I was interested in the Symbolic Story Representations (SSI) that Wilhelm had in his classroom.  It sounded like the students were very interested and engaged in participating in these activities.  The students were able to be creative with the reading.  Less engaged students were also able to get insight on how the more engaged students (like Cora, Joanne, and Ron) thought through and about their stories.  I would love to see students participating in an SSI and see how all students really are affected by this activity and their reading.
            The students should be involved in the literature as much as possible. Skilled readers let the story into their minds and affect their emotions. Connecting literature to students’ life may be one key factor of getting students to care about reading.  I love the quote the author uses in chapter three that says, “without the bringing of personally lived experiences to literature, the reverse operation, bringing literature back to life, did not occur.” Students need to see how the literature connects to their lives and how it can become a part of them. If they can see themselves in the story or parts of their lives within the story, they will better connect to literature overall.
            Keeping a teacher journal also is a great idea to be able to learn from past mistakes and also from what worked well.  It is important to note what students did and how they reacted to different things in the classroom.  Teaching strategies that worked for individual students are important because they may work for another student in the future as well. Writing what did not work well or surprises that came up are also important because they may not have to happen again if they are well noted.
            The attitude and the assertiveness of Wilhelm with his students really made me think about how to teach reading.  I have always wondered why teachers did not “try harder” to get less engaged students interested in reading.  Maybe it was because they did not know how. Wilhelm goes out of his way to get students to become readers in their lives, not just in the classroom.  When students can get a different perspective of reading, they may see that it is not “really stupid!” or a waste of time.  If students can see how other students like Cora, Joanne, and Ron think about reading, that it becomes part of who they are, the students can understand how to relate to the characters and connect with the author.

6 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you've said teachers might not try harder to help less engaged students because they simply don't know how. It might also be because they feel like they don't have that extra time to help students falling behind.

    Here's a true story: when I was in middle school, I was bored to death in German class and my parents went to the principal/guidance counselor to find out what could be done about that. The principal told them that teachers are meant to teach to the middle-level students, which means that any students excelling in and any students failing in the class were largely being ignored and not having their academic needs met. Shocking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You reminded me about an awesome experience I had in my senior year Shakespeare class. Our teacher had us act out scenes of King Lear. It was awesome! We brought in and made props, dressed each other up, and spoke in ridiculous voices. My friends and I had so much fun with that; the entire class really got into it!

    I have never really thought about incorporating drama/acting into my classroom, but my mind is opening up to it.

    And I absolutely agree: For some students, the love of reading begins with us, their teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed immediately that you clearly remembered acting out Julius Ceasar in tenth grade. I really think that using drama in literature classes is useful. When I observed students at Shippensburg High School, it was clear to me that they enjoyed it, and like you will remember doing it. I also like the idea of symbolic story representations because it involves student participation in creative ways.
    I also like that you mention keeping a journal as a way to learn from past mistakes and improve teaching. The use of a journal is something I hadn't considered but definitely will as we learn more about teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with Wilhelm about how to get students enganged in reading. I think students need the freedom to read what they want. Although this may be a problem because we all know that as teachers we can not do that all the time. How do we do it with other books? I remember reading Animal Farm in high school and the teacher made us interview a character and ask random questions. I loved this strategy because every group did a different character and it was fun to act it out in class =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you mentioned that Wilhelm kept a journal to improve on his teaching. It never occurred to me that self-reflection is what teachers have to do in order to improve. For the most part, I feel like most of my teachers never learned from their mistakes and just kept teaching the same way without even trying to improve. It was frustrating because they would only teach one way and I became less and less interested. It is definitely one thing I will do while I teach. I also agree with you when you talk about how Wilhelm gets his students engaged in reading. The good teachers are the ones that make their students feel like they are part of the stories and are living it. I know when I am reading a good story because I actually have dreams about being a part of it. I hope I can make my students get that involved in the books that they read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you and Cara noted, I also really liked that Wilhelm kept a journal. It seems like everyday in the classroom is different so I want to write it all down so I can remember. Also Wilhelm's journal made me think of "Educating Esme: Diary of a First Year Teacher" which was an awesome book of a teacher' s journal entries from her first year of teaching. It seems like journaling allows teachers to reflect on their job from day to day and year to year.

    ReplyDelete