This is a tough topic to talk about. I completely agree with what Noll wrote. “They become caught in the middle between a desire to teach according to their beliefs on the one hand and pressures to conform and use ‘safe’ literature on the other” (Noll 63).
The article about teaching Huckleberry Finn in the classroom had me anxious to ever teach it!! At the middle school level though, I would not teach it. It is very important for students to learn about racism, slavery, and many other issues, especially through literature. I think that those kinds of topics can be taught and seen through literature in a way that a history class and sometimes even films could not explain. It is interesting how the use of the “n-word” gets African American students more uncomfortable when it is a white person saying it but not when an African American person does. I also thought it was fascinating that the African American students felt more comfortable with other African American people in the room, even if it was just a guest speak or the teacher. I can understand why they can be uncomfortable, with other students staring at them and discussion of black people and slaves in the classroom. I feel like I was lucky because I attended a school with such a wide diversity of students. My school was almost half African American student population and half white student population, as well as many Asian and Indian students. Because I was so acquainted with many different types of people, and we all got along in some way, the issues that may have been brought up in the literature we read did not seem like such a big deal. When I read To Kill a Mockingbird in high school, not even any African American students complained about the topics raised. If we would have had Huckleberry Finn in our curriculum, I think there may or may not have been some issues raised. The African American students at my school would call each other the “n-word” and would let certain white people to say it too. I feel it would depend on the student population and the area of the school district whether certain novels like Huckleberry Finn could be taught. There will always be some kind of controversy in any school. Like Noll discussed in her article, the controversy and criticism of certain literature in the classroom will only get worse.
Although I believe students have the right to read anything they choose, there will always be literature censored in the schools. Some parents will always fight for what they do not want their child to read or issues in the material that they do not want their child to know about. It may be imperative to have a “representative committee to consider book selection procedures and to screen complaints.” Having this option in the schools can give ease to the teachers, knowing that others are handling the literature allowed in the classroom and complaints by anyone. The downside to this is that the teacher can be restricted to what she teaches if it is something she desires to teach but is not approved by the committee.
I'm wondering if issues of censorship were, in fact, present in your school, but as a student you were isolated from any debate or controversy. It could be too, that the books you read were pre-approved by the school board. The ones you list here are pretty standard classroom reading. What might happen though if a teacher wanted to bring in Maus or Feed? Do you think your district might have raised an eyebrow or not?
ReplyDeleteI liked your picture that says "Censorship causes blindness." This is completely true. Teachers can agree with this picture as well as students. I was made aware that I like the original Loin King movie. I did not like when I read our article about the hidden gender roles in the Lion King because it did "ruin the story" for me. It was like I almost was admitting I liked being censored from what the meaning really could be.
ReplyDeleteI guess this is why parents choose to challenge books we teach in our classrooms. They believe we are supposed to read short stories with happy endings. I am not saying that teachers main purpose is to show students the world is a horrible place to live in. It is to show students the current issues we face and how we may not even be aware of them.
Noelle, you had a lot of good points that you made in your blog. I think it's interesting that you have never had censorship problem at your school. I think it's interesting to reflect back on high school days because some students never knew censorship existed. I guess you could say it it because students did what they were told and never thought about what themes were being presented and how it could offend somebody. I also thought the Huckleberry Finn article was scary to think about. I mean who would ever think one book could cause so much controversey. I mean I knew censorship existed but this article made me a little uneasy about it. I also liked the quote you picked out from Noll. I mean as teachers we are going to have to fight battles and choose between what are passionate to teach and what material may be easier to get by in the classroom. I think people need to be open-minded and take a look at books like Huckleberry Finn. You can learn so much from American history from just that one text.
ReplyDeleteLike you, censorship was never really apparent to me. I read basically the same books as you in high school and no one ever questioned it. We all saw it as something that was required and couldn't be challenged. Censoring things makes me really uncomfortable. I'm not a fan of causing controversy and full debates over a text, and censorship does just that. I do like how you mentioned that no matter what, there will always be some sort of controversy in school. We don't live in a perfect world where everyone agrees on everything and conflict is unknown. People are going to disagree, but it's the way that people handle it that causes censorship to be a bigger issue than it really needs to be.
ReplyDelete