I really enjoyed reading the articles for this week. I feel we are always learning more about technology and that it should definitely be used in the classroom. Tracy Tarasiuk explained very well why she needed to “move her English class to the computer lab.” Her students learned so much better with hands on work and they actually enjoyed doing it! Teachers should stray away from the worksheets and traditional paper and pencil projects and let the students show their abilities in ways that they use every day for their own pleasure. One part of the article I really connected to from my own experience in elementary and middle school. She states “…schools have been slow to acknowledge students’ involvement in information and communication technology (ICT) as a respected form of literacy” (Tarasiuk 544). I can remember doing some projects in school that required using computers and powerpoint presentations but these activities did not meet the needs of the students of the classroom. Even when we did get to do bigger projects that allowed us to use ICTs as a respected form of literacy, they would be one time a year, if that. The only project that I remember doing, that would relate to be as effective as the wikis or the digital book talks, was a project my senior year of high school when we did our own version of a digital book talk. The name of the story escapes my mind right now, but it was about a problem someone had and how they fixed it. It was a preposterous plan to fix his problem and something that would never actually happen. In groups of 3 in my English class, we had to pick a problem in our society and come up with a ridiculous way to solve it. Each group videotaped themselves and made their own mini movies about their problems and how it would be solved. Instead of writing our own story, which many students would not find enticing, the teacher had us create our own story with our actions and spoken words. It took up many hours of class time to complete and perfect, but it was well worth it because it was a meaningful activity that everyone seemed to enjoy. So along with this article, I agree that instead of teaching students how to read using textbooks and write papers with pencil and paper or on the computer with Microsoft Word, schools should use the multiple tools and resources available to them to let the students learn reading and writing in purposeful ways.
Tuesday, November 1, 2011
Technology in the Classroom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm curious if technology is what is destroying our students' desire to read the Odyssey and Great Expectations. Can we point figures at anyone/anything in particular?
ReplyDeleteI also think that teachers should move away from the oh so traditional ways used in the classroom. I think that they need to incorporate something new so that students become more engaged and interested as well as become more able to connect to their lives and find the skills more useful to what they will need in the real world. I think that if we are finding flaws with how things are working in the schools today, then obviously a change is needed!
ReplyDeleteOne thing that stood out to me however was in regards to teaching with technology. I liked how you got to participate in a digital book talk in your high school. One problem I think I see with this incorporating of technology however is that often times teachers spend so much time on teaching “about” the technology, that students don’t really get to explore it and create their own works. In my middle school, one of our specials was a computer class that required a project that involved creating some type of video segment, I forget exactly what the assignment was, but what I do remember was that we all felt so restricted and unable to be creative with it because the teacher had so many requirements to go with it, that you felt that you would fail if you didn’t meet her exact wants. I think that this defeated the whole purpose of the use of technology. If it’s going to be used, I think that students should be able to get as creative with their work as they want, without feeling restrictions place upon them.
I completely agree with you in the fact that today’s generation is not completely abandoning literacy today! I think that they just have different options available to them and use different types of materials than other generations are used to. I think that because this is different from what Bauerlein is used to, he views it as “dumb”, but I think he needs to be more open to change as well. I’m not saying that our generation is anything ideal, but I don’t think it is as bad as he makes it out to be.
Noelle, you ask some really good questions in the debate between technology and Bauerlein's position. I think that social media is here to stay and that Tarasiuk's method of incorporating social media will be the best way to reach students and get them to "love" reading because that is what the know and are comfortable with. At the same time, you mentioned having to use computers in school that didn't really meet the needs of students, and I struggle with that because as a teacher I don't want to assign work or projects with the computer that only amount to busywork and don't promote reading and true learning. It will be a challenge to learn how to incorporate both! Also, I do highly recommend The Maze Runner. I plan to buy the trilogy so I can finish the series.
ReplyDeleteI also don't really see how our generation is in trouble and is considered the "dumbest" generation. The author says that reading is becoming less and less but look at the nook and the kindle. obviously the wouldn't invest so much money in these elctronics if they didn't believe people were going to use them. Also, I believe that the college rate has gone up since generations before us. Our generation must be doing something right if more of us are going to college, thus getting a better education. I also agree that technology was used rarely when I was in school. If we ever used computers in class it was to either A) write a paper or B) view a powerpoint. Anymore, that is just as bad as worksheets and stereotypical school busy work. Computers have so much to offer and it is ashame if teachers are only using them for powerpoints or not using them at all. I like the activity that you mentioned about using wikis and electronic book talks in order to solve a problem. It involves group work and is definitely a creative idea. Students are definitely more likely to respond well to texts if they can do different ways to express them. Videos are a good idea because it appeals to those who are visual and audio learners. They can see body language and hear words and they don't have to write or type anything that they usually have to do. I think the more differentiated the lesson the better, especially if it involves technology.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you when you say teachers should try moving away from the traditional worksheets and include technology more. Students are so much more technologically advanced and can put their skills to good use in the computer lab. When it comes to Bauerlein, he brings up a lot of good points. The one thing I don't agree with though is the fact that students need to be exposed to books like Great Expectations. I read that my freshman year of high school and can't even tell you what it was about. Not all students can just read and understand without being able to relate. There are those students out there, but the majority need the book to be relatable or to at least have a reaction to it.
ReplyDelete